Overview of the drug
Mental health is a real issue these days. And doctors usually suggest sessions but sometimes when the condition of the patient is worse medication is prescribed. These medicines play an important role in mental health stability and act as antidepressants. One of the medications which is used in scenarios like these is Prozac. Prozac is the brand name of the drug which in reality goes by fluoxetine. This drug Provac as mentioned earlier is used as an antidepressant and the drug is used to treat cases of depression and other mental health issues. Among these issues this drug is also prescribed for obsessive compulsive disorder. Panic disorder is also treated with this medication.
The drug prozac actually inhibits the the re-uptake of serotonin. According to the statistics, 1 out of 10 people residing in USA are now classified as casual users of SSRI drugs. Further statistics also indicate that women 1 out of 4 in United States who are In between 40s and 50s are known to take this drug.
Some facts about Prozac
Prozac's first appearance is the United States was in the late 1980s. Due to it being an efficient antidepressant its popularity increased in the United States. To this day it is still being manufactured and is prescribed by the doctors although there are some new antidepressants that are being produced such as citalopram.
This drug due to its importance is being manufactured in every form whether it is liquid or in the form of tablet. There is also a delay in its new form which is going to be long-acting capsule though capsules are still available but the new ones will work more efficiently and will render more effects. Usually the drug is prescribed to the adults but in some exceptional cases it is prescribed to the children above the age of ten. It is usually suggested by the doctors to stop the usage of Prozac when using Monoamine oxidase inhibitors.
Effects of Prozac
Even though the drug prozac plays a greater role as an antidepressant. The drug still have some adverse effects. FDA in this case is actively working so that the company manufacturing the drug should provide warning about its adverse effects. The drug even though it act as a antidepressant can induce suicidal thoughts in people who are younger than 25 years of age. The drug can also lead to effects that might just prove to be more worse in young adults and children. The list of these adverse effects goes on and some of these are discussed below:
- High intake of Prozac can cause the libido to decrease and might cause sexual dysfunction.
- The high intake can also cause anxiety issues and sometimes might result in nervousness.
- Dreams that aren't normal in any perspective are common when the uptake of the drug is increased.
- Sweating and diarrhea is commonly observed.
- A person might experience lethargy or might experience lack in the strength of the body.
- Rashes on the epithelium are commonly observed too.
- Flu and tremors might be caused.
- The long term use of this drug might cause insomnia and might make a person drowsy.
- Continuous yawning.
- Inflammation of mucous membrane also known as sinusitis is seen too.
- Digestion might be disrupted or may become painful the condition is termed as dyspepsia.
- Dryness of mouth and constant feeling of nausea
- Vasodilation is caused by its long term use too. Vasodilation is the widening of blood vessels.
Every drug provokes reactions in the body that might harm it when taken with a medicine that opposes its effect or works in the opposite way. The manufacturers of Prozac have warned about the drug's interaction with the various drugs. As mentioned earlier the drug provokes reaction against MAOIs. In addition to this the drug is also metabolized when it interacts with CYP2D6. Furthermore, with more intake of antidepressants like tricyclic antidepressants adverse reactions are triggered. Precautionary measures are advised when on to taking this drug because these drugs might alter the brain and the working of central nervous system this includes various classes of drugs such as benzodiazepines. In this category there are many drugs which include Diazepam and another drug like Lorazepam. It is advised that the drug should be used with the drugs like aspirin and some other medications like warfarin that can effect the blood coagulation because sometimes when the intake of antidepressants are high they can lead to internal bleeding. When it comes to drug interactions this drug is not supposed to be taken when antipsychotics are being used. SSRI and lithium also interfere with the drug's action.
Pregnancy and Prozac
Women who are pregnant are supposed to take Prozac in the scenario when the drug's benefits are more than the harms which it will render on the fetus. Studies suggest that the use of antidepressants during pregnancy can increase the risk of neonatal maladaption syndrome.
Symptoms of this syndrome includes problems while feeding, difficulty in breathing, decrease in the level of blood sugar and reduced glucose formation in the body also termed as hypoglycemia. It is advised to the mothers to not breastfeed their child if they are using prozac as the drug can enter in the milk and might cause some harmful effects in the child who is about to be fed.
Besides these effects some people are allergic to certain drugs and if this drug causes rash, swelling and difficulty in breathing it is advised to go see a doctor as the body might have triggered a hypersensitivity or allergic reaction which if left untreated might result in a medical case with complications.
Dosage rates of Prozac
Dosage rates of Prozac depends on the age of the patient and also on the reason why this medication is suggested or prescribed.
Usually the normal dose which is prescribed to adults starts around 20 milligrams and is taken through oral route. The dosage can be increased given the condition if the symptoms don't improve. But make sure you take dose at the prescribed dosage for at least two weeks and if the symptoms still aren't decreased then the dosage should be increased but consultation with a doctor is suggested. Maintenance dose varies too and is from 20 to 60mg per day. Maximum dose which is increased due to no change in the condition goes up to 80 mg per day.
Considering this dosage an adult suffering from mental health disorder who intakes oral capsule would have to take 90 mg per week. It should be noted that the capsule here is delayed release oral capsule and the medication takes almost 4 weeks in order to see its effects.
Withdrawal of Prozac
If a person takes a medicine for a long time and then suddenly aborts its usage causes withdrawal effects. Withdrawal effects are harmful for health and are listed as follows:
- Brain zaps are commonly observed when the usage is stopped.
- Dizziness might also occur
- Сonfusion is commonly observed in the patient using it and this might be due to being reliant on it for a long time.
- Bad dreams might happen along with insomnia.
- Nausea and tremors are common too.
- Poor digestion and problems of gastrointestinal tract.
- Aggressiveness, sudden mood swings, anxiety and irritation are commonly observed symptoms.
Immediate stopping in the usage of this drug can result in withdrawal syndrome. This is caused when the drug is continuously taken for almost 6 weeks. It should also be noted that reduction in the uptake of this drug can also lead to this effect . Effects that are caused due to withdrawal can be reduced when the intake of the drug is stopped by four weeks.
For some users withdrawal signs might not appear while for the others signs might appear if they stop its usage over several weeks. Some patients might have to stop its usage immediately because of its effects on pregnancy. Proper consultation with the doctor is also suggested.
Uses of prozac
Prozac is an SSRI and usually works by blocking the absorption of serotnin which is a neurotransmitter in the brain. When the regulation of serotonin is done the messages can now be transferred from one brain cell to another. This causes the mood to become more stable. This medication also causes the neurons to align in the dentate gyrus which is a part of hippocampus of the brain. Hippocampus is mainly involved in the formation of memories. FDA has allowed this drug to be used for Major depressive disorder , OCD etc. It is certified to treat agrophobia along with panic disorder. In some cases like obesity and binge eating doctors prescribe this drug. It should be noted that the drug helps achieving a normal state of mind but if used wrongly can prove to be dangerous as it can render adverse reactions and sometimes its uptake can trigger allergic reactions too.
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
If you are a woman and you are going through your periods this is the right page for you. There are a number of women who face different type of menstrual problems while their period and they went through all the pain without knowing the right treatment for it because most of these women are never educated and they are unaware of different disorders which can be treated. In this article, we will discuss different aspects of premenstrual dysphoric disorder. It is very important to make sure that we get the right information about such health issues and educated ourselves in order to handles those problems and disorder in a better way.
According to doctors most of the women face premenstrual syndrome in their life and that can be in different forms which can be food cravings, frequent mood swings, cramps, fatigue and anxiety or tender breasts. All these are some of the very common symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. Most of the time women ignore these symptoms because they do not have enough knowledge about this syndrome and they live most of their lives thinking that they are going through a common phase and these feelings and sensations are just part of the regular.
There are no known causes to this syndrome and even after conducting a research there is no solid reason as to the basic cause of this syndrome. However, researchers have come across a common reason and that is the most plausible explanation which is the abnormal behavior or abnormal reaction to hormonal changes in the body which occurs during the menstrual cycle. These changes are very much prevalent during the menstrual cycle and they can only be experienced during this specific time period. Different studies have shown that there is a chemical in the body which is known as serotonin, is found to have a connection with the PMDD. Low levels of serotonin is reported to trigger this syndrome as it affects the transmission of nerve signals to the brain. There are a number of cells which uses serotonin in order to control mood, sleep pattern and pain receptors. Certain hormonal changes in the body are responsible for lower levels of serotonin which triggers premenstrual syndrome.
It has been observed that the symptoms for PMDD show up just a week before the period and they usually last a few days after the menstrual cycle begins. However, these symptoms are very severe most of the times and they can easily interrupt or keep one from performing daily activities. Following are some of the symptoms which one can face if you are affected by this disorder:
- Mood swings are very common and they have been observed in most of the women suffering from this syndrome.
- Feeling of hopelessness or depression is another symptom, one may feel very lethargic and unable to find the motivation to perform basic chores.
- Intense attacks of anger which may lead to conflict with other people. This may also lead to social isolation hence worsening the condition.
- Increase in tension and anxiety which may lead to less interest in daily activities and may affect appetite.
- Difficulty in concentrating on certain things.
- Disturbance in sleeping problems is also very common which affects all aspects of life.
- Bloating and cramps in the gastro-intestinal region of the body.
- Headaches and muscle pain is also very common and most of the time women ignore these headaches which leads to severe increase in the intensity of these headaches and pains if they go unchecked.
- Some women also face breast tenderness.
These are some of the symptoms of this syndrome and it is recommended that you consult a doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms. The doctor will review your medical history and he/she will ask you to go through a number of tests which will make sure that you are affected by this syndrome. However, it is important to make sure that there are no mental or emotional problems which are responsible for these symptoms and all other problems including different gynecological conditions also needs to be rules out before declaring that the person is affection from PMDD.
In order to cure this diseases it is important that you consult a doctor and properly take all the medications, it is necessary to make sure that you take all these medications according to the prescription and along with these medicines it is also important to have a good and health diet plan so that you may feel active. It is also very important to stay hydrated during your menstrual cycle, most of the women do not drink water during the day which causes the pain to worsen. Therefore, along with all other cures it is important to take some precautionary measures too. Following are some of the cures which the doctor may recommend if you are suffering from this syndrome:
- Doctor may recommend some kind of antidepressant which may help in regulating the amount of serotonin in the body hence reversing the effect of this syndrome.
- Therapy for hormones which may include different birth pills to control the effect of growing hormones.
- Intake of light food during this time frame and making sure that one’s diet is perfectly healthy as it plays a very important role in overall health of a person.
- It is also important to have regular exercise which makes you healthy and fit by improving the immune system.
- Different vitamin supplements can also be used so that the body may acquire all the required vitamins and there is no deficiency of any vitamin in the body.
- Different anti-inflammatory medicines to reduce bloated stomach and cramps.
These are some of the cures that the doctor might recommend along with these, there are some pain relievers as well which includes aspirin, ibuprofen and different types of nonsteroidal drugs. These may help in getting rid of most of the symptoms but it is very important to take precautionary measures as well.